The ABC’s of Termite Treatments for Homeowners
The need for termite treatments is constant and widespread. Termites can be found in every American state except Alaska, and the National Pest Management Association estimates that termites cause $5 billion in damage to American buildings each year. In order to keep your home termite-free and maintain your house’s value, it’s important to have preventative measures in place to keep termites away. Here are a few simple tips to make the most of termite treatments for homeowners.
There are a few easy things you can do to deter termites from entering your home in the first place, which can help reduce the potential of termite infestations and damage in the future.
- Don’t let water pool around the perimeter of your home.
- If you keep stacks of wood on your property, don’t stack the wood against your house.
- Termites don’t just chew through wood to enter your home. Check your foundation and doorways for tiny cracks – the smallest opening is big enough for termites to squeeze through.
Conduct a Visual Inspection
Termites often leave obvious signs of their presence. However, you should keep in mind that only about 20% of your home can be visually inspected. There is plenty of invisible opportunity for termites to take up residence in your home, but here are a few things you can look for:
- Swarms of termites are a pretty obvious indicator. Dead termite swarms are typically seen in the springtime, on window sashes or under the window.
- Subterranean termites construct mud tubes in the ground that are about as wide as a pencil. If you spot a tube, break it, and then check in a few days to see if it has been rebuilt. If it’s repaired, you know the tube is active.
- If you suspect that wood has been invaded by termites, give it a tap. Termites often hollow out pieces of wood, so if your knocking sounds hollow, termites have probably damaged it.
- Pull back any debris that comes in contact with your home. Mulch, wood stacks, or leaves could be hiding a colony of termites.
- For a more complete inspection, always call a pest control professional.
Elimination of a Colony
Once a colony of termites has been discovered on your property, it’s time to call in a pest control professional. Do-it-yourself methods can work to eradicate some termites, but eliminating an entire colony, and thus preventing future damage, is another story.
North Fulton Pest Solutions provides two industry leading options with regard to termite protection and colony elimination, termite treatments with Termidor® and the Sentricon® Termite Colony Elimination System with Always Active Technology™.
Termite treatments featuring Termidor®, America’s #1 termite defense product and the only liquid termiticide with characteristics of both a baiting system and a traditional liquid residual kills termites as it is ingested, makes direct contract with termites, and by means of its unique transfer effect. When the pests come into contact with Termidor®, they transfer it from their body onto the other members of their colony. The colony then becomes contaminated and is ultimately eliminated.
The Sentricon® Termite Colony Elimination System with Always Active Technology™ is one of the most effective, responsible, and green termite treatments available today. It’s the only baiting system with active bait in every station from day one and the termite treatment of choice for millions of American homeowners. It has been used to protect the White House and the Statue of Liberty. The Sentricon® system has been proven to eliminate entire termite colonies, and that is why North Fulton Pest Solutions offers this green alternative in termite control to its clients.
Contact North Fulton Pest Solution about termite treatments for homeowners and other services.
All products or logos denoted with ™ or ® are trademarks or registered trademarks of BASF Corporation – for Termidor
®Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company (“Dow”) or an affiliated company of Dow – for Sentricon