The Scary Truth About Pest Control and Mice in Your Home
Although mice can appear to be cute and cuddly in a pet store, pest control is required immediately when you spot evidence of wild mice invading your home. You should not hesitate to call your pest control company when it comes to dealing with mice in your house, because there are several things about mice that make them dangerous to your family.
Here are six scary facts about pest control and mice in your home:
- Female mice average six to eight babies per litter, but have been known to have up to 14 babies in a litter. A female can have 5 to 10 litters per year, so if you do the math, you’ll find that their reproduction rate is pretty high. Before you know it, you could be completely overrun by mice.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), rodents can harbor 30 or more diseases that are harmful to humans, including typhus and the bubonic plague (yes, that’s THE plague). They can spread those diseases throughout your home with their fur, dander, urine, feces, and parasites that live on them, such as fleas. As if a mice infestation weren’t gross enough on its own, adding in the fact you could get very sick from them takes the revulsion factor up a notch.
- Mice have collapsible cartilage. This is why they only need an opening about one quarter of an inch in diameter to enter your home. Policing your home’s exterior for such tiny holes is nearly impossible.
- Mice have large incisor teeth at the front of their mouth that grow quickly and continuously. To keep their incisors in check, they enjoy chewing on wood components inside the floors and walls of your home. They have also been known to chew through rubber tubing, insulation, and electrical wiring.
- Mice are extremely agile and curious, and they have a great sense of balance. They would be excellent tightrope walkers, as they can traverse very narrow wires. They can easily climb up vertical surfaces, too.
- Mice can jump down several yards without getting hurt. No wonder they can seem to be everywhere at once, maneuvering through your home like shadows you can’t seem to track.
All of these facts about mice should make you concerned, because these facts make mice dangerous intruders and formidable opponents. Your pest control company knows that where there is one mouse, there are more. Their high reproduction rate and survival skills can make them difficult to eradicate. That’s why it is so important to call in pest control experts when you identify mice in your home.
North Fulton Pest Solutions has provided pest control services to rid Atlanta homes of mice for over 40 years. Our highly trained team has the right tools, products, knowledge, and experience to quickly and effectively eradicate your mouse problem. We are a trusted name in pest control, and we look forward to improving your family’s comfort, safety, and health.
Click to discover all that the North Fulton Pest Solutions pest control team offers for eliminating mice and other household pests.