How Can I Prevent Insects from Entering My House
The cooler the weather gets, the less insects like being outside – which means they are looking at your house for shelter. You may have noticed an increase in indoor insect activity recently. That’s no accident. Many insects are not built to withstand cold temperatures. Flies get very slow and sluggish; spiders get very still, and even roaches slow their scurrying a bit. Now you may be asking, “How do I prevent insects from entering my house?”
The answer really isn’t as difficult as you may think.
Food and Water
When a pest enters a house it usually has three primary goals: find food, find water, and find harborage. If your house satisfied even one of those objectives, then that pest just might decide to homestead.
Food and water are common attractants in a house because people usually don’t think about that pot filled with water soaking in the sink, or the bread crumbs that fell to the floor when they picked up their sandwich. The problem is that those are the very things that put a welcome sign over your door for pests to come on in. Top tips:
- Wipe down counters every time you use them for food preparation
- Keep a lid on your kitchen garbage can and take the trash out daily
- Keep your floors swept and mopped regularly
- Don’t leave dishes soaking overnight
- Empty glasses when you are finished with them
- Pick up pet food and water at night
Prevent Insects from Entering My House: Exclusion
Cracks around windows, a bad seal under the door, and holes in window screens can make it very easy for insects to get into your house. Exclusion is a pest control term that simply means sealing any access points so that pests can’t enter an area (i.e. your house).
- Make sure the space under your door is properly sealed
- Fill any cracks around doors and windows
- Repair screens
- Make sure windows are sealed
- Look for areas where pests may get in, such as under the eaves near the roof or near the foundation and seal them
When to Call a Pest Control Professional
Pest control professionals are trained to spot access points, sanitation issues, and things in a home that could be attracting insects. If you still have a problem, despite your best efforts, it is best to put it in the hands of a pro. They can inspect your home and yard and give you advice on what you need to do to kick those pests out and keep them out.
North Fulton Pest Solutions is your go-to pest control company all year round. Winter, summer, spring, or fall we offer quality pest control for your home and property. Call us today and find out how we can help create a pest free environment for you.