Atlanta Termite Control: What Happens When Termites Come Knocking
When termites start poking around, it is best to get termite control services in place immediately or better yet preventatively. Every year termites cost billions in damage, and you definitely don’t want to be a part of that statistic. Termites eat wood from the inside out, destroying the home you’ve worked so hard to secure and maintain.
If you’re unsure whether or not you have termites or you don’t have an active termite protection program in place, call the experts and request a free inspection of your home or other structures. There are certain sure signs of termite activity, but a termite professional is trained to identify termite infestations and conditions conducive to termite activity. Keep in mind that even a trained professional can only visually inspect approximately 20-30% of your home. Many of the areas susceptible to termite infestation such as wall voids, areas under floor coverings, and construction voids, aren’t visible to the naked eye, which is all the more reason to call on a professional.
It’s always good to understand your enemy, so here are some interesting facts about these pests that are bound and determined to eat you out of house and home:
- Many people confuse termites with carpenter ants – at least with the termite caste members that have wings. This type of termite is known more commonly as a “swarmer.”
- Termites mate and swarm in the spring, thus the term “swarmers” and the associated “swarm season.”
- Swarming termites are the reproductive members of the colony. These “swarmers” emerge from their subterranean colonies to locate a mate and establish new colonies.
- Termites live in colonies underground and often forage over 100 yards in search of food sources. Wood, more specifically the cellulose found in wood, is their favorite food.
- A termite queen can lay millions of eggs over her lifetime.
- If you see one termite… there may be millions you don’t.
- Termites do NOT sleep – they just eat, eat, and eat – all day, all night.
- “Swarmers” or flying termites often leave their small transparent wings behind as clues of their presence. Wings are often found near light sources or trapped in spider webs.
- Termite build mud or shelter tubes as they forage for food sources to feed and support the colony.
With your entire house at risk, don’t procrastinate. Damage doesn’t go away over time; it only gets worse and more expensive. Just like dental work, car troubles, and diseases, if not properly treated, termites can get out of hand. Without professionals doing the work, they just keep coming back, costing you more and more in the long run. Termite eradication is not a good DIY project; trust a professional service provider to protect what’s likely your largest investment from these insatiable pests.
Pest control and more specifically termite control works. It’s not a gimmick, it’s not a waste of money, and it’s not a waste of time. If anything, it saves you money in the long run, along with the hassle that comes from the problems and damage termites cause.
Address pest and termite control appropriately the first time and rest easy knowing you and your home are protected.
Call the professionals at North Fulton Pest Solutions today to arrange for your free inspection and discuss termite control options including structural foundation treatments with Termidor and the Sentricon Termite Colony Elimination System with Always Active Technology.